I have watched and read quite a bit about the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, which began in New York and has since spread to a number of other locales.
While some demonstrations number in the thousands, other groups would be challenged to occupy an elevator.
As much as I try, it's hard for me to grasp the message of the Occupy movement. Rich people bad, everyone else good? Wealth should be re-distributed? Corporate "fat cats" need to be held accountable? Basic cable and 4G for all?
I understand the frustration, even anger, which is real, and palpable.
For the most part, Occupy protesters are upset that so much is in the hands of so few. The so-called "1%" control most of our nation's wealth while the other 99% feel like they're looking in with lips pressed against a real life snow globe.
A CBS/New York Times poll shows that 42% of Americans majority agree with the views of the occupy movement. But what are the views?
As much as I love a good poll, this one reminds me of when Congress sends out "constituent surveys" with loaded questions like, "Should your tax dollars be used to build nuclear bombs instead of providing food and shelter to innocent, defenseless puppies?"
The Occupy movement is real, but the agenda, and sustainability, are unclear.
Some have tried to equate Occupy with the Tea Party. But the Tea Party, from the beginning, was a movement with a political agenda.
Say what you like about Tea Partiers, but they came, they saw, they conquered. They altered the landscape in 2010 by setting an agenda and running candidates for Congress. Loud ones.
So far the Occupiers operate outside the political realm. In fact, I saw Democratic Congressman Barney Frank pleading with protesters the other night to not cast aside the political process, even though most politicians have avoided Occupy like Donald Trump avoids the subway.
Perhaps the real "threat" or lasting impact of the Occupy movement is that the ranks of disenfranchised voters will grow, affecting future election turnout and leadership.
I hope not. Free speech is a precious right, and a responsibility.
What's your take on the Occupy movement? I would enjoy hearing from you.